Popular Posts

Saturday, 7 January 2012

My Child hood before my diagnosis

My mother's pregnancy was like any other, with all the cravings, morning sickness, and mood swings. I was born a healthy baby boy. When I was about a year and a half old I had little speech communication (this may not mean your child has autism). By the time I was in pre-school I still had minimal speech, I had difficulty following instructions, and I would freak out if we were doing something that I did not expect (many children with autism will boil over because of something they are not expecting), and since the teacher could not handle me, I went in to a special pre-school. As a person with autism I like knowing what my day is going to be like, and so will others with autism. People with autism like doing things a certain way, for example, at 3 years old, my mother and I would walk my older brother to kindergarten and I insisted on walking along the white chalk line of the school's soccer field and then, walk along the concrete curbs around the school.  I still sometimes do that today. When I was 3-4 years old , I would be watching T.V., every once in a while I would go up to my mother and I would repeat something from a T.V. show or a Disney movie, Mom would say good job or okay, and I would go back to what I was watching. Also about that age I was given the label of "mildly mentally handicapped, with autistic traits, and a severe language disorder" by Sunny Hill Hospital for Children. In the beginning of grade 2 I moved from Aldergrove to Abbostford, and my second grade teacher pushed to have me reassessed. When the school psychologist came by to observe me, my teacher purposely  pushed my buttons (so to speak) so the observer could see the real me. By the time I entered third grade I had the label of "high-functioning autism".  Not all diagnoses will be like mine, some will get diagnosed early in age, others not until their late childhood. I hope this gives you some information.
-Chris

No comments: