When I got my mildly mentally handicapped label, my mother was constantly questioning herself on what she did wrong during her pregnancy with me, which would be a typical maternal reaction. My father on the other hand thought something didn’t make sense to him, like he somehow knew it was something else but he didn’t know what. When I was finally diagnosed with high functioning autism both of my parents were happy to finally know what the problem was, so they could get the proper therapy for me.
When I was 3½ years old Sunny Hill Hospital gave me my mildly mentally handicapped label. At about 6 years of age my mom went back to University to become a teaching assistant, and during her time there she started learning about the different mental disorders and figured that I was autistic. Before my reassessment in the second grade both my mom and my teacher agreed it was a type of autism. I got my autism label from the Fraser Health Autism Network (F.H.A.N), with a private assessment team in Vancouver at the start of the third grade. -Chris
No comments:
Post a Comment